Psi Chi is the International Honor Society in Psychology, founded in 1929 for the purposes of encouraging, stimulating, and maintaining excellence in scholarship, and advancing the science of psychology. Membership is open to graduate and undergraduate men and women who are making the study of psychology one of their major interests, and who meet the minimum qualifications. Psi Chi is a member of the Association of College Honor Societies and is an affiliate of the American Psychological Association (APA) and the Association for Psychological Science (APS). Psi Chi's sister honor society is Psi Beta, the national honor society in psychology for community and junior colleges.
OUR NEXT MEETING:
What is Psi Chi?
- Psi Chi is the International Honor Society in Psychology. We work to promote the study, advancement, and application of Psychology and its related disciplines and sub-disciplines.
Why should you join Psi Chi?
- We offer our members information regarding research assistantships, graduate programs, and networking with faculty in the field of Psychology. Additionally, you will have access to scholarships, articles, and other research-related opportunities via the Psi Chi website.
- Psi Chi prides itself on being actively involved in the community. We actively participate in fundraisers (i.e. St. Baldrick’s, Oxfam, etc.) in addition to volunteering at local crisis centers, food banks, and youth development organizations.
- Our chapter hosts several social events throughout the semester including but not limited to:
- Movie nights
- Midnight Bowling
- Annual Corn Maze (Fall Semester)
- Video Game Tournaments
- Laser Tag
How to become a member?
- Requirements - In order to be eligible for Psi Chi membership you must first:
- Declare Psychology major or minor
- Be at least a second-semester Sophomore
- Have taken at least 9 semester hours of Psychology courses
- Have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.0 and a Psychology GPA of at least 3.2
- Application process
- Go to http://www.psichi.org
- Scroll over “Join” in the menu bar and select “Become a Member” from the drop down menu.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on “Apply Now.”
- Select UNC Charlotte as your chapter, fill out the required information, and click “Submit.”
- Next, go to Psi Chi Survey and fill out the information so we can process your application through UNCC
- Once all the applications have been processed, applicants will receive an email notifying them of their acceptance
- There are chapter dues of $20 that must be paid each semester in addition to a one time $55 national fee for new members. The deadline for dues will be announced at the beginning of each semester.
Where do we meet?
- Our Chapter meetings take place in Colvard 3120 every other Wednesday at 5:00 PM (this is subject to change depending on the academic calendar and upcoming events so pay attention to your email!)
Can you still come to meetings/events if you are not a member?
- Absolutely! We encourage everyone who has an interest in psychology (particularly if you plan on a career in psychology) to come to our meeting and of course our events/fundraisers. Even if you are not yet eligible to apply to become a member, we highly encourage
Where can I get additional information?
- If you have questions that still need answering please email us directly at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Also, check us out on Facebook! (UNC Charlotte Psi Chi)